Why Learn On line?

Whether you are thinking about enrolling in an on line course, are in the midst of one or have already completed on line coursework, this is the place to discuss your on line learning experience.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Learning Styles and the Three Bears

As I continue to work my way through the MSIT program at MGC, the recognition of my own metacognition of learning has been enlightening. At various points in my learning I have reflected on the teaching styles of my instructors and reflected on the impact each has had on my learning experience. I recalled what has worked for me, what presented challenges for me and the 'why' to both of those reflections.

Being in the MSIT program, my courses have been taught by instructors from each of the Masters degree programs. Each instructor has brought to the course their favored pedagogies. Methods they believe will efffectively deliver the content with which learners need to walk away from the course.

In the midst of my first MAT course, I am beginning to understand the distinctions between each of their styles of content delivery and how their delivery style impacts my response to, interaction with and retention of the content being delivered.

Not enough structure, too much structure and structure that was just right.... for me. And that's the critcal component to learning.... What is the structure that is just right for me ...the learner.

As an instructor what are the indicators that will help me to recognize if my students are experiencing real learning. Learning that leads to a shift in actions, thoughts and behaviors.

As I sort through and continue to reflect on the methods most effective for me as a learner, I will keep my personal journal of these experiences. It is these experiences that will shape the methodologies I implement as I move toward helping others like me, progress through their personal learning journey.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill Hart said...

I agree teaching methods impact effectiveness, but also, the student, impacts effectiveness. And what I mean is an instructor could utilize perfect pedagogy, but if the student comes to the learning environment without a base knowledge or from what Koschmann (1996) refers to as narrow representation ie, single schema or perspective the perfect pedagogy will have imperfect results.
Have you seen that in your observations?

I too have found it interesting to observe while participating in the various courses. The more I learn, the more I realize that identifying just the right variables that facilitate learning for each student is a challenge and a bit of a balancing act.

I have so much to learn!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jill Hart said...

Jim, you and Amy stress the importance of being self-evaluative in the teaching role. Also, I would think having a mentor or critical friend, who knows you and who you can trust, would be very valuable in supporting the professional development. And not only is this important for teachers, but it is in any profession, if we are to grow in our role. However, the type of feedback I describe is not always readily available.

Sometimes it's easier to not provide feedback to a colleague, perhaps wondering if it really will be welcomed by the receiver. At this point in my life, I understand the value of asking for feedback from a colleague or friend. What has helped me to be able to receive it, is being able to trust the relationship and knowing there is a level of mutual respect upon which our relationship is based.

So I agree, the ability to tweak ones own thoughts, actions and behavior is critical to professional growth and ultimately, in the case of educators, to student learning.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home