Why Learn On line?

Whether you are thinking about enrolling in an on line course, are in the midst of one or have already completed on line coursework, this is the place to discuss your on line learning experience.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Peter Drucker - Groupie

"At the close of the interview/advice session Peter Drucker genuinely startled me when he brought up the subject of his consulting fee: “My fee, perhaps you know, is quite large… and what it involves is that you keep me clearly informed as the initiative progresses...this is my charge and only fee”. At that moment I knew why he said “yes” to the Ai interview in the first place. It was all about learning."

Excerpt from Apreciative Inquiry Commons - By David Cooperrider - Case Western Reserve University March 23, 2003

I've tried everything from support groups and individual therapy to accupunture and riki but the bottom line is, I'm a Peter Drucker Groupie and there's no cure!

In January 2006, I was first introduced to some initial articles of Mr. Drucker's. As I read the articles I became enthralled by his life, his character and his thinking. Since that time I have read all or parts of several of his books and many more articles. When I learned of his passing the previous November, I knew that I missed meeting an amazing man!

He leaves a legacy that spands generations, decades and content areas.
His insights on the knowledge worker have proven as on target as those he shared on education. He was a brilliant man!

Check out this article on Drucker. I think of it as a 'best of' Drucker article. What do you think?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.03/drucker.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Jill Hart said...

I have yet to read 'The World (is Flat)according to Friedman!' but it seems to have alot of folks talking. Interesting interpretation and one that warrants further exploration.

Drucker, although focused on business growth, was really the first person who placed value on the employee - that's right he viewed employees as assets and at the time, his thinking was way out there! But gradually, as he began working with various companies like GM, his theories began to be implemented with great success. So not only was the employee being valued for their manual productivity, they were beginning to be respected for their knowledge and ideas. And that's only one of many changes that Drucker pioneered that began to transform working conditions in organizations.

I can accept the fact that companies need to be profitable to stay in business. However, I agree that how they do business is what sets them apart and will ultimately drive the level and longevity of their success.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home